Firebase & Jetpack
This repo contains an Android app that demonstrates an (evolving) approach to the use of Firebase along with some of Android's Jetpack components, including ViewModel, LiveData, paging, data binding, and WorkManager. Full implementations are provided for Realtime Database and Firestore.
You can use a fully functioning version of this app by installing it from the Play Store.
Minimally, to get started:
- Create a Firebase project
- Enable Firestore and Realtime Database
- Enable Google auth
- Add add an Android app with the package name "com.hyperaware.android.firebasejetpack" and your SHA-1
- Download google-services.json and place it in
- Download a service account from the console and place it in
- Initialize the backend code with
cd backend/functions; firebase initand attach it to your project
- Deploy the backend with
node ./lib/tick.js --ticks 1to bootstrap the database. Run with no args to tick infinitely.
- Build and run the Android app to watch stock price changes in real time.
More details instructions and walkthrough coming later.
The code in this project is licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
Copyright 2018 Google LLC Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
This is not an officially supported Google product.